The Sanskrit word chakra translates to a “wheel” or “disk.” In yoga, meditation, and Ayurveda, this term refers to wheels of energy throughout the body. There are seven main chakras that align along the spine, starting from the base of the spine to the crown of the head.1
Chakras store the energy of thoughts, feelings, memories, experiences, and actions. Chakra healing refers to the idea that when all of our chakras are open, energy can run through them freely, and harmony exists between the body, mind, and spirit, creating a sense of overall well-being.
Don’t worry if this sounds “woo-woo” to you at first. Honestly, it did to me, too. Now that I’ve done more research, though, I understand that this is all about holistic connection. Let’s dig in.
The Sanskrit word for Throat Chakra is “Viśuddha” which means “pure.”
The Throat Chakra is the center of expression and communication.
Universal Color: Blue
Element: Ether (Space/Sky)
Location: Base of your throat
Associated Body Parts: Throat, thyroid, vocal cords, jaw, mouth, neck
Open Chakra: You are comfortable speaking what is true for you in a civil and polite manner. You experience others listening and hearing you. You experience being heard and honored for your truth. 2
- You express your truth with ease.
- You are a great listener.
- You communicate thoughtfully and clearly.
- You’re very decisive.
- You speak mindfully and without fear.
- You have a healthy thyroid.
Closed Chakra: You are afraid to speak up and say what you want or feel. You worry that you will be challenged, judged, or chastised. You get sore throats often or feel as if your throat is blocked. 2
- You have trouble expressing yourself.
- You have trouble listening to others.
- You're unable to voice your opinions clearly.
- You’re indecisive.
- You have a thyroid imbalance.
- You have hearing problems.
The following MANTRAS help open and balance the Throat Chakra.
- I am an important voice in this world.
- I express myself with clarity and confidence.
- My words are powerful.
- I express love and positivity when I speak.
- I speak my truth.
- I am honest.
- I am a good listener.
- I always stay true to myself.
Following are ACTIVITIES that help open and balance the Throat Chakra:
- Meditate outside
- Watch the clouds
- Listen to birds chirping
- Go somewhere that echos, where you can yell and hear your voice return
- Write a letter
- Share your feelings, thoughts, and ideas
- Gargle with salt water
- Work on communication skills
- Neck, jaw, and shoulder massage
- Practice Yoga, especially these poses: Cat-Cow with Lion’s Breath, Camel, Cobra, Supported Shoulder Stand, Plow, and Fish
- Throat Chakra Yoga | Yoga With Adriene
- Throat Chakra Yin Yoga & Affirmations for Clear Communication
- (INTERMEDIATE TO ADVANCED) Throat Chakra Balancing Flow l Alo Yoga
- Listening to Music that corresponds to the Throat Chakra (384 Hz)
Following are HEALING FOODS that help open and balance the Throat Chakra:
Blue Foods: Blueberries, Blackberries, Plums, Currants, Seaweeds
Coconut Water, Herbal Teas
Clove, Echinacea, Cinnamon, Peppermint
Barley, Wheatgrass, Mushrooms, Barley
Following are ESSENTIAL OILS that help open and balance the Throat Chakra:
Blue Tansy, Spearmint, Rosemary, Lime, Lavender, Cedarwood, Ho Wood, Sage, Basil, Cypress, Bergamot, Peppermint, Chamomile
Following are CRYSTALS that help open and balance the Throat Chakra:
Amazonite, Turquoise, Blue Agate, Lapis Lazuli, Sodalite, Aquamarine
Our special Throat Chakra blend contains Ho Wood, Lavender, Spearmint, Blue Tansy, and Amazonite Crystals, which help enhance communication and feelings of integrity, trust, and clarity.