Spinach Lasagna Soup
I absolutely love this recipe. It is savory, satisfying, and bursting with flavors.
Servings: 6 to 8
- 15-oz ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 12 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 4-oz fresh spinach (or 3 large handfuls)
- 28-oz jar of marinara or tomato basil sauce
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 6 brown rice lasagna noodles
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For the topping, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, and basil in a small bowl and stir. Place in the refrigerator until the soup is ready.
- For the soup, sauté the onion in olive oil in large saucepan on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the fennel seeds and garlic and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the green pepper and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and sauté until wilted.
- Add the marinara sauce, vegetable stock, and red pepper flakes. Add the salt and pepper, to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil and then let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Break apart the brown rice lasagna noodles into 1-inch pieces and add to the soup. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the noodles are done.
- Use a ladle to spoon the soup into a bowl, top with the basil and cheese topping, and eat up!
PROTEIN NOTE: Ground beef and sweet sausage taste best. Cook in a separate pan and add to the mixture 5-10 minutes before serving.