What are the Chakras?
The Sanskrit word chakra translates to a “wheel” or “disk.” In yoga, meditation, and Ayurveda, this term refers to wheels of energy throughout the body. There are seven main chakras that align along the spine, starting from the base of the spine to the crown of the head.1
Chakras store the energy of thoughts, feelings, memories, experiences, and actions. Chakra healing refers to the idea that when all of our chakras are open, energy can run through them freely, and harmony exists between the body, mind, and spirit, creating a sense of overall well-being.
Don’t worry if this sounds “woo-woo” to you at first. Honestly, it did to me, too. Now that I’ve done more research, though, I understand that this is all about holistic connection. Let’s dig in.
The Sanskrit word for Heart Chakra is “Anāhata.” It means “unhurt, unstruck, and unbeaten.”
The Heart Chakra is the center of compassion, love, and beauty.
Universal Color: Green
Location: In the center of your chest, near your heart
Associated Body Parts: Heart, Lungs, Thymus
Open Chakra: You feel joy for no apparent reason. You easily attract love and support in your life. Just as abundantly as you receive, you easily and freely give. You feel a heartfelt sense of gratitude for how wonderful your life is. You appreciate others and feel compassion for yourself and others without feeling sorry for anyone. 2
Closed Chakra: Your feelings get hurt easily. You feel you have to keep your heart protected or closed so you don’t trigger repressed and hurt feelings from your childhood. You don’t easily feel happy and it’s a challenge feeling joyful for very long. You lead with your head more often than your heart. 2
The following MANTRAS may help open and balance the Heart Chakra.
- I am open to receiving love.
- I am worthy of love.
- Love flows through me freely.
- I follow my heart’s calling.
- I forgive myself and others.
- I am free from past hurt.
- I release resentment.
- I show compassion to myself and others.
Following are ACTIVITIES that help open and balance the Heart Chakra:
- Spend time with loved ones.
- Spend time with animals.
- Express gratitude.
- Send a blessing to someone.
- Get out in nature. Let it fill you and heal you.
- Go forest bathing.
- Meditate outside on a breezy day.
- Drive with the windows down.
- Practice deep breathing.
- Establish clear personal boundaries.
- Practice Yoga, especially these poses: Bridge, Wheel, Wild Thing, Dancer, Camel, Cobra, Sphinx, Cat-Cow, Upward Facing Dog, Eagle, Fish, Puppy
- Heart Chakra Yoga For Beginners | Yoga With Adriene
- Heart Opening Yoga Class - Five Parks Yoga
- Yin Yoga for Your Heart
- (INTERMEDIATE TO ADVANCED) Heart Chakra Balancing Flow with Andrew Sealy - 7 Days of Chakra Balancing l Alo Yoga
- Listening to Music that corresponds to the Heart Chakra (342 Hz)
Following are HEALING FOODS that help open and balance the Heart Chakra:
-Green Vegetables, Leafy Greens, Avocados, Green Onions, Green Peppers, Asparagus, Artichoke
-Green Fruits, Green Grapes, Honeydew Melon, Kiwi, Pear
-Green Legumes, Green Beans, Green Split Peas, Edamame
Following are ESSENTIAL OILS that help open and balance the Heart Chakra:
Rose, Grapefruit, Geranium, Rhododendron, Bergamot, Lavender, Ylang Ylang
Following are CRYSTALS that help open and balance the Heart Chakra:
Rose Quartz, Emerald, Green Jade, Green Aventurine, Green Tourmaline
Our special Heart Chakra Blend contains Grapefruit, Rhododendron, Bergamot, Rose, and Rose Quartz Crystals, which help create a sense of deep self-love and compassion, and heal emotional wounds.