Root Chakra: Safety and Security
Welcome to our new wellness series, Sunday Nourishment, where we’ll be taking deep dives into health & wellness topics that I’m passionate about.
First up is our series on the Chakras.
What are the Chakras?
The Sanskrit word chakra translates to a “wheel” or “disk.”
In yoga, meditation, and Ayurveda, this term refers to wheels of energy throughout the body. There are seven main chakras that align along the spine, starting from the base of the spine to the crown of the head.1
Chakras store the energy of thoughts, feelings, memories, experiences, and actions. Chakra healing refers to the idea that when all of our chakras are open, energy can run through them freely, and harmony exists between the body, mind, and spirit, creating a sense of overall well-being.
Don’t worry if this sounds “woo-woo” to you at first. Honestly, it did to me, too. Now that I’ve done more research, though, I understand that this is all about holistic connection.
Let’s dig in.
The Sanskrit word for Root Chakra is “Muladhara.” “Mula” means “root” and “Adhara” means “support” or “base.”⠀
The Root Chakra is very connected to feelings of safety and security, self-confidence, and knowing that we are enough. It also supports feelings of trust and belonging.
Universal Color: Red
Location: Base of the Spine⠀
Associated Body Parts: Legs, Hips, Bones, Kidneys, Rectum, Immune System
If Closed: You struggle with putting others first and not making your needs and wants a priority. You think you have to fix others’ problems. You struggle with financial debt and lack of money, poor health, and physical illness. You carry an underlying sense of not being worth it and not belonging.2
If Open: You flow and accumulate plenty of money, you enjoy a healthy body, you feel like you belong. You have a strong connection with your family and/or friends while living true to yourself, using your gifts and talents to make a difference in the world.2
Following are MANTRAS that help open and balance the Root Chakra:
- I am safe.
- I am rooted and strong.
- I am always supported and protected.
- I am worthy.
- I am open to possibilities.
- I am exactly where I am meant to be right now.
- Blessings meant for me find me effortlessly.
- I have everything I need to thrive.
Following are ACTIVITIES that help open and balance the Root Chakra:
- Spending time in nature
- Walking barefoot in the grass, dirt, or sand
- Visiting a conservatory or greenhouse
- Tending to house plants
- Wearing red and earth tones
- Journaling: 30 Journal Prompts to Open and Heal the Root Chakra
- Practicing Yoga, especially these grounding poses: Mountain Pose, Forward Bend, Chair Pose, Warrior I and II, Triangle Pose, Yogi Squat, Child’s Pose, Corpse Pose
- Grounding Into Gratitude - Root Chakra Yoga - Yoga With Adriene
- Root Chakra Grounding Yoga Flow - Lower Body Muladhara Yoga
- Yoga for your 1st Chakra - Root Chakra & Lower Body Yoga Class - Five Parks Yoga
- 60 Minute Empower Yoga Root Chakra Flow with Suzy
- Listening to Music that corresponds to the Root Chakra (256 Hz)
Following are HEALING FOODS that help open and balance the Root Chakra:
Root Vegetables, Onions, Pepper, Cayenne, Paprika, Apples, Raspberries, Tomatoes, Strawberries, Cherries, Pomegranate, Radishes, Beets, Watermelon
Following are ESSENTIAL OILS that help open and balance the Root Chakra:
Palo Santo, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Frankincense, Spikenard, Myrrh, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Ginger, Clove, Rosemary, Rosewood
Following are CRYSTALS that help open and balance the Root Chakra:
Garnet, Ruby, Black Onyx, Fire Agate, Black Tourmaline, Hematite, Tiger’s Eye, Jasper
Of course, I need to give a nod to the Nourish Root Chakra Roller Blend infused with Garnet Crystals. I apply it to the base of my spine and repeat the Root Chakra Mantras any time I need to slow down, ground myself, and know that I am safe, secure, and protected.